Sunday, December 9, 2012

Jean (Hans) ARP,Collage Arranged According to the Laws of Chance, 1916-1917. Torn and Pasted paper, 1' 7/8" X 1' 15/8"


Collage Arranged According to the Laws of Chance, 1916-1917. Torn and Pasted paper, 1' 7/8" X 1' 15/8"
                     -Jean Hans ARP

For this piece, Jean Hans dropped squares (torn out of paper) onto a sheet of paper and then glued them. 
Jean Hans (September 16 1887 – 1966) He was a sculptor, painter and poet. He Spent some time at the Julian Academy of Paris in 1908. After that, he went to Weggis, Switzerland, where he worked for some years in solitude. Co-founder of the Zürich DaDa movement in 1916. 

 " I allow myself to be guided by the work which is in the process of being born, I have confidence in it (automatic painting, fh). I do not think about it. The forms arrive pleasant, or strange, hostile, inexplicable, mute, or drowsy. They are born from themselves. It seems to me as if all I do is move my hands." 
          - Jean Hans ARP
 
This piece was created in a unique manner and gave art to the Dada movement. Something I feel fits in nicely with my exhibit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment